July 3, 2011

General Santos City Hospital hosted Basic Intravenous Therapy Training Seminar

As most of the hospitals nowadays would require attending to a basic IV training seminar for an IV license before they would hire you, I searched for some institutions offering the said activity here in GenSan in the earliest date possible. Glad to know the hospital which I was absorbed was offering the seminar.

General Santos City Hospital, a government-owned institution, hosted a 3-day Basic Intravenous Therapy training Seminar on June 18-20, 2011 in cooperation with ANSAP, Association of Nursing Service Administrators of the Philippines, which is the governing body for IV licensing.


In the three day seminar workshop includes lectures regarding Historical Background of IV Therapy, it's ethico-legal aspects, anatomy and physiology of circulatory and vascular system, pharmacology, and drug dose calculations.

On the first day, we refreshed ourselves with the lectures provided by the speakers which was spearheaded by ANSAP Director Elsa V. Castro, RN, Ph.D. I, myself, was surprised that we had a pretest before starting the lecture. How was that? I'm really surprised since my knowledge on these were already lost but the good thing is I was able to recall the lessons discussed way back college.

Second day was more on return demos which the speakers already discussed before we did the procedures. The coordinators had organized the return demo areas to facilitate ease in mobility of the activity. Return demos included were IV medication through incorporation, IV medication through IV push, TPN (Total Parenteral Nutrition), Blood Transfusion, and the much feared IV catheter insertion.



The third day was used to give more time for return demos since not all of the activities were accommodated on the second day. I admit that I'm one of those who attended the seminar who were not really that ready to fall in line and perform the return demo with the preceptor. Since, I have in me my hand-out provided by the seminar, I did not lose track to the things that I should bear in mind.



The seminar was grazed by nurses from different places such as from Davao, Marbel, Tacurong, Isulan, and Midsayap. My partner on the one to one IV insertion was my schoolmate at Notre Dame of Midsayap College. I got really excited to the catheter insertion since I want to feel how the patients feel when the IV catheter is inserted to them. By the way, the IV cannula used was gauge 24 which means that it is color yellow and is usually smaller.

Tweetie doing IV catheter insertion to Maryanne

Maryanne smiling even though it hurts. :)

IV cannula gauge 24


On the one on one IV insertion, I got two tries before I successfully inserted it. Not bad though. My partner had also performed it twice of me before it became successful. That was really painful though but I enjoyed it. For me, that's a great challenge since you were aware of the pain that you are about to receive.

first try, my hand got a mild hematoma

second try, not that really successful
Overall, I enjoyed the seminar. What I really like was the food since the registration fee has included snacks for the morning and afternoon as well as a lunch which consisted of 3 different delicious viands plus you can request for an extra rice. By the way, the registration fee was P3,500.00 inclusive of hand-outs, IV license card, and meals.


If you would like to know for the next IVTT seminar that the hospital will be conducting, you can visit their admin department or you can contact me here for any reservation of slots since it is only limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment